Sunday, June 22, 2008

JAPANESE DINNER

Last night, we decided to try out a Japanese restaurant in the city. We landed at "Nagasaki" just after 20:00. There was no crowd, only a couple of tables were occupied. We did not hear the usual Japanese welcome "Irasshaimase" by the waitresses as we walked in. It's quite unusual.
This set-up of this Japanese restaurant is similar to those "Izakaya" "居酒屋" (Pub style restaurants) in Japan.
Browsing throught the menu, I selected a "NIKUJAGA" (potato stewed with pork) which was one of my favourite when I was staying in Japan.
For the main course, I ordered a dinner set of gilled salmon, "Tori no kara age" (deep fried chicken nuggets), green vegetable, rice and macoroni salad.
My wife selected a set of "Tempura"(lightly battered deep fried seafood & vehetable), "Sashimi" (raw fish), "Korokke" (Croquette) a little salad and rice.
In addition to the main course, we also tried their "Chawan Mushi" (Egg custard)
The presentation was very pleasing to our eyes. I thought we have come to the right place for a truly Japanese dinner. However, the taste was disappointing, not even close to what I had expected. It's more to our local taste.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

i love japanese food, cant remember the name but i love the tempura veg with the salmon. Your pix looks tempting!

WONGLC said...

Carolyn, thank u for your comments. I hope to find a "real" Japanese restaurant.(if there is any in Sabah.)