Friday, June 6, 2008

HARVEST FESTIVAL: SABAH - BORNEO

Harvest Festival is celebrated every May by the Kadazandusun community for thanksgiving dedicated to the rice gods . It is one of the most colorful event where you can see all the indigenous people of Sabah Borneo in their traditional attires. Agricultural shows, exhibitions, cultural programs and other traditional games are held. It is the time for merrymaking and feasting with rice wine flowing freely throughout the festivities.

I went to the "KDCA" (KADAZANDUSUN CULTURAL CENTER) on the 2nd day in the late afternoon. I thought I could take some good pictures of the activities there, especially those young ladies in their beautiful traditional dresses performing the "SUMAZAU" (Traditional dance). But I was very disappointed as the cultural performances were over. However the place was still very crowded with people.
I was too late! The performers have packed up and were waiting for their transport to go home.
It was a massive jam the KDCA
Parking was free and you could park almost anywhere you like.
I walked around and these were what I captured. There were more than 10 "Hawker stalls" all selling the same BBQ food. I just wonder when did the Kadazandusan changed their traditional eating habit.



I was hoping that I could buy some "HINAVA" (the raw fish dish of the Kadazandusun) but there was none. Hopefully next year I can be there early to participate the celebration. Perhaps, by then, I will have a new camera with 20 mega pixels

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice post! I was there the second day too - i thought it was too packed as well but I enjoyed it!
thanks for sharing. mat