Friday, August 27, 2010

JAPAN UPDATE - IWATSUKI DOLL FESTIVAL

Miura san sent me some pictures of the "Hina-Matsuri" (Doll festival) held on 22 August in Iwatsuki city,Saitama Prefecture. These pictures remind me of the many "matsuri"(festivals) I experienced, especially the Hakata Dontaku,during my stay in Fukuoka in the 90s.
The display of the dolls.
.
Iwatsuki is a well-known city for fine wooden products such as chests, geta (a traditional Japanese wooden footwear) and dolls. The doll-making industry started in the 17th century and to day there are more than 300 doll workshops and at least a hundred doll retail shops.
Young children dressed up like dolls for the parade in the city.
Likewise, the adults.
Japanese festivals are colorful and interesting, complete with dances, music and parades.
The common sight at festivals throughout Japan - streets with filled with food as in this doll festival.
With such a colourful festival especially the "food", I am sure my friend enjoyed himself tremendously !!!

No comments: