Sunday, April 19, 2009

JUNGLE TREKKING

The last time I trekked the Borneo rainforest was in the 80's. Yesterday, I took the challenge to take the trails of the Crocker Range jungle with my tour partner, Mr. Yunus Sampeh. Our main objective was to check out a waterfall down the jungle valley at Utan Paradise. It was supposed to be a leisure trek of an hour +( I thought) but we took more than 2 hours to complete the tour. To me, the return leg from the water fall was torturing because of the several slippery uphill slopes. My partner had no problem since he is a young man. I am too old for this game. Trail signs put up by Utan Paradise operator.
A leisure walk from the starting point. This was the first tall tree we came across. A giant creeper making its up to the canopy. Jungle ginger.
A rattan with seedlings. Wild flowers on the jungle floor.
Hello, hello! Yes, yes..your hotel has been confirmed....you need tour?........ With the modern technology, business can be conducted anywhere even in the rainforest.

Tall trees all the way as we trekked deeper into the jungle.



A coiling tree ?After 20 minutes of leisure walk, we began to face the many steep slopes leading to the valley. Thicker undergrowth near the water fall.

It took us 40 minutes to get down to this water fall. The water was crystal clear and the air at the water fall was very refreshing. We stayed for about 10 minutes enjoying the cold mountain water.



The returning leg was a challenge. This is one of the uphill trail. I had to take a rest after every 20-30 steps.
We brought back a souvenir from the jungle. These leeches are not poisonous or carry any disease but just blood-thirsty. The ankles are the most common places the leeches will crawl onto and bite. If you like jungle trekking but do not like leeches, you can wear anti-leech-socks which are available from most of the (rainforest) trekking operators.
The trip was very rewarding. At least I know my strength now....what I can do and what I cannot do! I do not think I will return to that water fall again!

No comments: