Saturday, April 4, 2009

HANAMI

It’s cherry blossom (sakura) time in Japan. Sakura is a symbol of Japan, and it's said that there are over four hundred varieties of cherry trees in the country. The most popular kind of sakura which can be viewed everywhere in Japan is somei-yoshino (Yedoensis). My friend from the land of the rising sun sent me these pictures taken 2 days ago at the Ueno park, Tokyo.




During the cherry blossom season, "Hanami" (Cherry blossom viewing) parties are held all over Japan. People have fun, drinking, eating, and singing during the day or night. It is like a picnic under sakura trees. It has become a Japanese custom since the very early days.

Thanks to Miura san for reminding me of the cherry blossom season. I have some very fond memories of the many hanami paties I attended during my eght years stay in Japan.

No comments: