Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A SHORT BREAK IN TOKYO

I took a day trip to Tokyo from Osaka last Tuesday. It was a rewarding day as I managed to visit a few old friends and enjoyed the full bloom of the Cherry blossoms in Ueno park (上野公園), the most popular park of Tokyo.
 
 On board ANA B777-300 from Itami to Haneda.
 
Cherry blossoms in full bloom along the Monorail track from Haneda airport to Tokyo City.
Business was over in 2 hours.  I posed for this picture with Cherry blossom outside my friend's office.
In the afternoon, Miura san acted as my guide for a tour to Ueno Park (上野公園).
I was told that Uneo park is the most popular park for Cherry blossom viewing (Hanami) parties, There are more than a thousand Cherry trees inside this park. Believe it or not, the park was full of people despite a weekday. We had to squeeze through the crowd just to see the Cherry blossoms.
A group of elderly ladies were performing the traditional "Hanami" dance under the Cherry trees.
 
The next thing I saw was this cat on a Cherry tree.   
This cat had attracted a huge crowd at this corner of the park. So many cameras against a single cat!
I
This was a real beauty - the "Shidare-zakura" (Weeping Cherry) blossoms  
 Close-up of the flowers.
It was my first time enjoying the Cherry blossoms in Ueno park and for Miura san, it was a yearly affair. I hope to come back to Tokyo in Spring next year so that I could visit more parks to enjoy the Hanami!     

No comments: